This sweet potato pie recipe is a traditional favorite, especially in the Southern parts of the USA. This recipe shows you exactly how to make your own sweet potato pie. This delicious dessert is often prepared for Thanksgiving and Christmas instead of a pumpkin pie.
Sweet Potato Pie
a Traditional favorite sweet potato piePin Recipe
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- ⅓ cup butter softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 unbaked pastry shell
- Place sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan, add water to cover.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and cook uncovered until tender, 13 to 15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes return to pan. Mash until very smooth cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and mix well.
- Add milk, two cups mashed sweet potatoes, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, mix well.
- Pour into pie shell, bake at 220ºC (450ºF) for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Bake until set or a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool, store in the refrigerator.
Calories: 313kcalCarbohydrates: 37gProtein: 5gFat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 299mgPotassium: 299mgFiber: 2gSugar: 17gVitamin A: 8369IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 94mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!