Very easy to follow a strawberry shortcake recipe that will show you how to make strawberry shortcakes in no time to enjoy with the family. These delectable little strawberry shortcakes are a delight to serve at the tea table. They can also be dished up as a lovely dessert after any meal. You may also experiment by replacing the strawberries with mango slices.
Tasty Strawberry Shortcake
- 225 grams flour
- 2 egg yolks lightly beaten
- 5 tbsp butter or margarine
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 150 ml milk
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- fresh strawberries halved and sugared
- ½ the juice of a lemon
- softened butter
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Work in the butter or margarine with a fork or the fingers, then add the milk and eggs, little at a time, until the mixture holds its shape but it still soft.
- Stir continuously with the fork.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll out into 4 rounds.
- Place the rounds on greased baking sheets and bake in the oven at 220ºC (420°F) until lightly golden, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Combine the fresh strawberries with a little sugar and the lemon juice in a bowl.
- Split each shortcake round in half carefully with a knife and spread each half on one side with softened butter.
- Place one round, buttered side up, on a plate, spoon some of the strawberry mixture on top.
- Repeat until all the filling and all the shortcake rounds have been used up, ending with a layer of strawberries.
- Serve warm with whipped cream.
We hope you enjoyed this strawberry shortcake recipe!