This tasty pumpkin soup recipe is light enough to serve a small portion as a starter to a meal. It also looks very appealing, especially if served with a swirl of cream that you leave on the soup for each person to blend in when eaten. You may add a few dry pumpkin seeds as garnish. This easy recipe shows you how to make pumpkin soup to enjoy with the whole family.
Tasty pumpkin soup
- 2 cups cooked pumpkin
- 2 tbsp onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 500 ml milk
- 5 ml lemon juice
- 50 ml double cream
- 1 ml ground cloves
- 2 ml sugar
- 2 ml salt
- Melt the butter or margarine in a heavy saucepan and sauté the onion until transparent but not brown.
- Add the cooked pumpkin, chicken stock, milk, lemon juice, ground cloves, sugar, and salt but not the cream and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Purée the soup by forcing it through a fine sieve or, if a coarser consistency is desired, stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the cream and heat well, but do not boil.
We hope you enjoyed this tasty soup recipe!