This lemon souffle recipe makes the most delicious, tangy, fresh lemon dessert imaginable! Lemon appeals to almost any palate and this dessert are very light and fluffy. You may opt to go for an all-orange flavor by replacing the juice with orange juice.
- 1 large juicy lemon
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites stiffly beaten
- 40 grams sugar
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine
- 4 tsp candied orange peel finely chopped
- 1 tbsp flour
- 75 ml hot milk
- Rub the sugar lumps hard against the skin of the lemon to allow them to absorb the essence (optional)
- Combine the hot milk and the sugar in a bowl, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Peel the lemon thinly and chop the rind very finely,
- Squeeze out the lemon juice reserving 50 ml for the souffle.
- Place the flour in a small saucepan and add the milk, stirring with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Add the butter or margarine and heat gently, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thick and smooth.
- Add the salt, stir well and remove from the stove.
- Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, and pour in the lemon juice in a thin steady stream at the same time to prevent curdling.
- Stir in the lemon rind and candied orange peel.
- Fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites and pour the mixture into a well-greased souffle dish.
- Bake in the oven at 180ºC (350°F) for 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
We hope you enjoyed this lemon souffle recipe!