This nougat recipe gives you the nicest bars that you can wrap and give as gifts. You can also play around by adding nuts other than hazel or by adding a handful of dried cranberries or orange peel. Be sure to use a heavy-duty blender as the mix gets rather thick and difficult to mix.
Sticky delicious Nougat
Sweet nougat to enjoy with the familyPin Recipe
- 1 cup hazel nuts coarsely chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 375 ml light corn syrup
- 65 ml water
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 62,5 ml butter or margarine
- 1 ml salt
- Combine the corn syrup, sugar, salt and water in heavy-bottomed saucepan and simmer, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Bring to boil and boil without stirring, until a small amount dropped in very cold water forms a hardball.
- Beat the egg whites in a large mixing bowl until stiff but not dry, then little by little beat in ¼ of the corn syrup mixture and continue beating until the mixture holds its shape.
- Boil the remaining syrup until the mixture reaches the hard-crack stage, then beat little by little into the first mixture.
- Continue beating until the mixture begins to hold its shape.
- Stir in the vanilla essence and the butter or margarine and beat until very thick and creamy.
- Stir in the nuts and pour into a buttered square 200 mm pan, smoothing the top, and let stand until firm.
- Turn out of the pan and cut into 2 cm pieces.
- For the best flavour, store for several days in a cool place before serving.
Calories: 3951kcalCarbohydrates: 709gProtein: 30gFat: 133gSaturated Fat: 40gCholesterol: 462mgSodium: 1199mgPotassium: 937mgFiber: 12gSugar: 693gVitamin A: 2037IUVitamin C: 8mgCalcium: 250mgIron: 7mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
We hope you enjoyed this nougat recipe!
Thank you for this. Can this be done without eggs?
No, Rita. Unfortunately egg white is the main ingredient of nougat.