Everybody loves doughnuts! You can make your own by following this easy doughnut recipe. The ideas of decorating them are endless.
Recipes for doughnuts
- 240 ml milk warmed to 40ºC (110ºF)
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 50 grams granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 86 grams butter melted and slightly cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 490 grams flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 8 cups oil for cooking
- 240 grams sugar sifted
- 80 ml heavy cream
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- In a large bowl, pour the warm milk sprinkle the yeast and ½ tsp of the sugar on top of the milk.
- Give it a light stir with a spoon and allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
- The mixture should be frothy after 5 minutes, if not, start over with new yeast.
- Using a hand mixer running on low speed, add the remaining sugar, eggs, butter, vanilla essence, 2 cups flour, salt, and nutmeg.
- Beat on low speed for 1 minute or until combined.
- Add the remaining flour and beat on medium-high speed until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- The dough should be thick, yet soft. And slightly sticky.
- If it is too wet, add 2 to 3 more tbsp of flour. Make sure you do not add too much.
- Form dough into a ball and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead for 2 minutes, then place into a greased bowl, use nonstick spray or oil.
- Turn the dough over to coat all sides. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in a warm environment to rise until doubled for about 1 and ½ hours.
- Once doubled in size, punch down the dough to release any air bubbles.
- Remove dough from the bowl and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Punch down again to release any more air bubbles if needed, roll the dough out until it is only 1,2 cm (½ inch) thick.
- Using a doughnut cutter, cut into 12 doughnuts. If you can't quite fit 12, re-roll the scraps and cut more.
- Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper. Place 6 doughnut and doughnut holes on each.
- Cover with kitchen towels and allow to rest for about 15 to 20 minutes as you prepare the oil.
- Place a cooling rack over a third baking sheet.
- Pour oil into the pot set over medium heat. Heat to 190ºC (370ºF).
- Add 2 to 3 doughnuts at a time and cook for 1 minute on each side. Carefully remove with a metal spatula or metal slotted spoon.
- Place onto a prepared wire rack. Repeat with remaining doughnuts, then turn off the heat.
Make the glaze
- Whisk all of the glaze ingredients together.
- Dip each warm doughnut into the glaze, making sure to coat both sides.
- Place back onto the prepared rack to allow excess glaze to drip down.
- The glaze will eventually set + harden on the doughnuts after about 20 minutes.
- Doughnuts are best enjoyed the same day, though they keep at room temperature for a couple of extra days in an airtight container.