Delicious, sweet chocolate Eclairs recipe, a delicious popular French dessert. Eclairs may also successfully be served at teatime. They should preferably be eaten soon after preparing – they tend to get tough and hard after a day and cream is also enjoyed best when fresh. Eclairs are made with choux dough.
Tasty Chocolate Eclairs
A delicious popular French dessert with choux dough.Pin Recipe
- 300 ml double cream
- 2 tsp icing sugar sifted
- 1.5 ml vanilla extract
- 115 grams plain chocolate semisweet
For the Pastry
- 9 tsp plain flour
- pinch salt
- 50 grams butter diced
- 150 ml water
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC (390°F).
- Grease a large baking sheet and line with baking paper.
Start making the pastry
- Sift the flour and salt.
- Melt the butter and add water to the pan.
- Increase the heat to boiling.
- Remove from stove and beat the flour in with a wooden spoon.
- Return to stove over low heat, then beat the mixture until a ball forms.
- Allow the pan to cool one side for 2-3 minutes.
- Beat the eggs to a smooth paste thick enough to hold its shape.
- Spoon pastry into a pastry bag with 2.5 cm plain nozzle.
- Measuring 10cm lengths onto the prepared baking paper sheet.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes till golden brown and well risen.
- Remove from the oven and make a slit on the side for the steam to be released.
- Lower oven heat to 180ºC (350°F) and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Cool on a standing oven rack.
Start making the filling
- Whip the cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract together until it holds its shape.
- Use your pastry bag fitted with 1cm plain nozzle to fill the eclairs.
- Place the chocolate in a small bowl over a pan with hot water.
- Melt and stir until nice and smooth.
- Remove from heat and little by little stir in the butter.
- Dip the top of each eclair in the hot melted chocolate.
- Place on a standing oven rack and leave to cool in a dry place.
- Best served within 2 hours of making them.
Calories: 182kcalCarbohydrates: 8gProtein: 2gFat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 52mgPotassium: 57mgFiber: 1gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 511IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 24mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
We hope you enjoyed this chocolate eclairs recipe!