When you are pregnant, you want the absolute best for your developing baby – and for yourself to prepare your body for the great adventure that you are about to embark on. Now is the time to really take special care of your diet and overall health. You should follow a balanced, nutritious diet that allows enough calories for energy. However, to have to eat for two is a myth! Many women experience cravings for certain foods during pregnancy. While you may sometimes give in to cravings, be careful not to start eating too much chocolate or other high-calorie foods. In this article, we discuss a few fruits that are particularly good for a pregnant woman.
- Try and eat mangoes when they are in season, so you don’t buy chemically ripened ones.
- Mangoes are a good source of Vitamins A, B6, and C.
- Mangoes also contain folic acid, potassium, and iron. Folic acid is essential for the development of the baby’s nervous system. An iron deficiency may cause anemia in the pregnant mother.
- Avocados are rich in folate.
- Avocados are a good source of Vitamins C, B, K. Vitamin K is important for blood clotting.
- Avocados contain magnesium, potassium, and choline.
BERRIES – STRAWBERRIES, BLUEBERRIES, RASPBERRIES, CRANBERRIES
- Berries are rich in Vitamin C, fiber and folate.
- Berries also contain carbohydrates, providing you with a better form of sugar than chocolates and candies.
- Berries are a good source of antioxidants that may protect against cancer.
Treat yourself with our blueberry cake!
- Kiwi contains a lot of folate which helps the neurological development of the baby.
- Kiwis are packed with folic acid, Vitamins C and E and antioxidants.
- Kiwi is also known to lower blood cholesterol.
- Pomegranates contain a lot of Vitamin C. You need Vitamin C to absorb iron.
- Pomegranates are also high in fiber and folate.
- Pomegranates are rich in Vitamin K and C and folate. They are also high in calories, so do not eat too much of these attractive foods.
I hope this article has shed some light on the subject and I wish you all the best!
Check out all our recipes here.