This is such an easy swiss roll recipe that takes less than 10 minutes to bake. The fact that you can fill it with whatever sweet filling you desire, makes it one of the most versatile teatime treats. When you roll up this cake, be sure to work on a clean, damp cloth so it does not crack.
Spongy Swiss Roll
- 4 eggs
- 180 ml flour
- 5 ml baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 5 ml vanilla
- 120 ml castor sugar
- strawberry jam for filling
- 250 ml fresh cream beaten, for filling
- Preheat your oven to 180°C
- Beat the egg yolks and castor sugar until thick and pale.
- Add the vanilla essence. In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites to a stiff peak stage.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the egg mixture and fold in gently.
- Then fold in the egg whites, also with a metal spoon until everything is blended well.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 10 - 15 minutes or until the cake is firm.
- While the cake is baking, prepare a clean towel by sprinkling caster sugar onto the towel.
- As soon as you remove the cake from the oven invert the tin over the sugared towel.
- Ease the cake out of the tin and remove the paper, roll up immediately.
- Leave rolled in the towel to cool once cool fill with jam, whipped cream or butter icing.
We hope you enjoyed this swiss roll recipe!