Sweet mince pies bring back happy memories from our childhood. And they are so easy to make, especially now that you can buy shortcrust pastry.
Sweet mince pies
- 150 grams currants
- 150 grams raisins
- 75 grams mixed peel
- 45 ml brandy
- 125 grams dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 150 grams cold butter grated
- 1 large apple (Granny Smith) peeled and grated
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 1 orange zest and juice
- Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate overnight.
- Roll out ready-made shortcrust pastry.
- Cut out discs to fit your muffin pan and an equal amount of slightly smaller discs.
- Spread the fruit mix onto the larger discs, already placed in the greased muffin pan.
- Lightly dab edges with egg yolk.
- Add lid and press down. Poke fork holes in the lid.
- Brush with egg.
- Bake at 180°C for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Once cooled, powder with castor sugar.