This simple brown sauce is normally associated with meat and game, but also goes well with chicken and vegetables, or it can be used to bind fillings for pies, casseroles and stews.
Brown Sauce Recipe
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 25 ml oil
- 15 gram butter
- 20 gram flour
- 400 ml meat stock
- 5 ml salt
- 5 ml pepper
- Melt the butter and oil in a saucepan over low heat.
- Add the vegetables and cook gently until they begin to brown, about 7 minutes.
- Remove from the stove and stir in the flour smoothly.
- Return to the stove and cook, still stirring, until a brown roux is obtained, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from the stove and gradually add the stock, stirring all the time.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, half covered, for 45 minutes.
- Strain through a fine sieve and season with salt and pepper.
- The vegetables must cook gently, not brown.
- The sauce must be simmered very slowly and half-covered to obtain the best results.
- If the stock becomes too thick, dilute it with a little extra stock, water, wine or sherry.
- If the sauce is too thin, boil it rapidly, uncovered for a few minutes.
We hope you enjoyed this easy brown sauce recipe!