Rhubarb is a vegetable with a sour taste. When sweetened and cooked, it makes a lovely dessert. As the leaves are poisonous, be very sure to remove them and use only the stalks.
Rhubarb with Custard
- 500 grams Rhubarb stalks Remove all leaves and stalk ends
- 100 ml water
- 100 grams sugar
- 500 ml milk
- 3 tbsp custard powder
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Chop up the rhubarb stalk in one-inch chunks, then cut lengthwise.
- Sprinkle over 100g sugar.
- Simmer in water for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Heat milk in a pot. Add 3 tbsp sugar.
- Prepare a paste with the custard powder, using 30 ml of cold water.
- Stir into milk and bring to a boil while stirring continually.
- Serve the custard over the rhubarb. Dish up warm.