This recipe makes the most delicious red velvet cake with real cream cheese frosting – fit for a king! This step by step recipe shows you how to make a red velvet cake and have it ready in no time!
Moist Red Velvet Cake
Make your very own Red Velvet CakePin Recipe
- ½ cup butter
- 1½ cups sugar
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2½ tbsp red food coloring
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 400 grams cream cheese room temperature
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Heat oven to 180°C (350ºF).
- Grease two 20cm (8-inch) cake pans.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time and combine well.
- Mix together oil, food coloring, cocoa powder and vanilla.
- Stir this mixture into the sugar mixture and add the vinegar.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add half dry ingredients, then half buttermilk to the wet ingredients.
- Repeat until all ingredients are mixed through.
- Divide into two pans and bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Beat together cream cheese, butter, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Mix in icing sugar.
- Spread mix over the lower half of the cake.
- Add the second layer on top and decorate with the cream cheese frosting.
Calories: 801kcalCarbohydrates: 105gProtein: 8gFat: 40gSaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 674mgPotassium: 143mgFiber: 1gSugar: 80gVitamin A: 1198IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 83mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!