This recipe makes the most delicious red velvet cake with real cream cheese frosting – fit for a king! This step by step recipe shows you how to make a red velvet cake and have it ready in no time!
Moist Red Velvet Cake
Make your very own Red Velvet CakePin Recipe
- ½ cup butter
- 1½ cups sugar
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2½ tbsp red food coloring
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 400 grams cream cheese room temperature
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Heat oven to 180°C (350ºF).
- Grease two 20cm (8-inch) cake pans.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time and combine well.
- Mix together oil, food coloring, cocoa powder and vanilla.
- Stir this mixture into the sugar mixture and add the vinegar.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add half dry ingredients, then half buttermilk to the wet ingredients.
- Repeat until all ingredients are mixed through.
- Divide into two pans and bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Beat together cream cheese, butter, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Mix in icing sugar.
- Spread mix over the lower half of the cake.
- Add the second layer on top and decorate with the cream cheese frosting.
Calories: 801kcalCarbohydrates: 105gProtein: 8gFat: 40gSaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 674mgPotassium: 143mgFiber: 1gSugar: 80gVitamin A: 1198IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 83mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Why are American terminology such as baking soda used and also we are onto the metric system, yet the recipe refers to 8 inch pans? If a recipe is reworked from American cooking terminology to South African, then the whole recipe must be reworked and not only parts of it.
Thank you for letting me know. I do apologize for this mistake, I have corrected it.