This recipe for macaroni and cheese is so easy to make and almost always a winner among children and adults alike. You may serve it with fish, boerewors, mincemeat, meatballs or even on its own as a light meal – with or without a salad such as beetroot or a Greek salad. You may top it with an additional sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
Macaroni and Cheese
- 500 grams macaroni
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 liters boiling water
- a drop of cooking oil
Ingredients as per our Recipe for White Sauce, plus
- 200 grams cheddar cheese grated
- Bring the water to a boil with the salt added.
- Add a drop of oil to the water.
- Add macaroni.
- Boil until al dente - 12 - 20 minutes.
- Drain water.
Prepare white sauce using our Recipe for White Sauce.
- Add 1/4 of the cheese to the white sauce.
- Put the macaroni in a greased pan. Pour over the white sauce to cover macaroni completely.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the dish.
- Top with bread crumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 180°C (350°F). If needed to crisp bread crumbs, grill for 3 minutes.
We hope you enjoyed this macaroni and cheese recipe!