This is a recipe for traditional South African bobotie. If desired, you may add a handful of raisins to the recipe. It is traditionally served with yellow rice. A green salad also goes nicely with this recipe.
Traditional South Africa Bobotie
Delicious traditional South African bobotie.Pin Recipe
- 1,5 kg minced beef
- 2 large onions finely chopped
- 30 ml oil
- 1.5 tsp turmeric
- 1,5 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 slice bread
- 3 eggs
- 4 tbsp chutney mild
- zest of one lemon
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 lemon leaves
- Fry the onions in the oil.
- Once the onions are brown, add turmeric and curry.
- Add lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Soak the bread in the milk.
- Add mince to the onion mix and fry until brown.
- Remove from heat and add chutney, zest, drained bread and one egg. Mix.
- Keep the milk that you drained the bread from.
- Pour into an oven pan and level.
- Top with bay leaves.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour at 180ºC (350ºF).
- Scramble 2 eggs into leftover milk.
- Stick the lemon leaves into the baked meat and pour the milk and egg mix over.
- Bake uncovered for another half hour.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!