Not only is this cake delightful to eat, but also a feast for the eyes. This moist, delicious cake can be enjoyed as a dessert or with a cup of tea.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
- 50 grams butter softened
- 50 grams brown sugar
- 7 pineapple rings in syrup drained and syrup reserved
- 7 glacé cherries
- 100 grams butter softened
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 100 grams self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- For the topping, beat in 50 grams of butter and 50 grams of brown sugar together until creamy.
- Spread over the base and quarter of the way up the sides of the round cake tin.
- Arrange 7 pineapple rings on top, then place 7 glacé cherries in the centers of the rings.
- Place the butter, caster sugar, self-raising flour, baking powder, vanilla essence and eggs in a bowl along with 2 tablespoons of the reserved pineapple syrup.
- Using a whisk, beat to a soft consistency, spoon into the tin on top of the pineapple and smooth it out so it's level.
- Bake for 35 minutes, leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Then turn out onto a plate, serve warm with a scoop of ice cream.