Paptert is a delicious South African dish made to go very well as a side dish with braaivleis, as we call barbeque. You may change some of the layers with things like creamy spinach, chakalaka sauce, biltong – whatever you like. Slap pap (soft porridge is the basis for this yummy savoury dish.
South African Paptert
- 2 cups maize meal
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 cups boiling water
- 250 ml fresh cream
- 1 can sweetcorn cream style
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions large, chopped
- 2 tomatoes large, chopped
- 1 punnet mushrooms
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- Boil in microwave for about 12 minutes on full heat, stirring every 4 minutes.
- Fry onions in oil until brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes and fry until soft. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Fry chopped mushrooms until brown.
- Mix cream into porridge.
- Use a flat glass bowl and pour a first layer of porridge.
- Spread over a thin layer of tomato and onion sauce, followed by a thin layer of mushrooms.
- Top with some sweetcorn, followed by a layer of cheese.
- Repeat layers in the same order, ending with enough cheese on top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 20 minutes at 180°C (356°F).