Paptert is a delicious South African dish made to go very well as a side dish with braaivleis, as we call barbeque. You may change some of the layers with things like creamy spinach, chakalaka sauce, biltong – whatever you like. Slap pap (soft porridge is the basis for this yummy savoury dish.
South African Paptert
You may change some of the layers with things like creamy spinach,Pin Recipe
- 2 cups maize meal
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 cups boiling water
- 250 ml fresh cream
- 1 can sweetcorn cream style
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions large, chopped
- 2 tomatoes large, chopped
- 1 punnet mushrooms
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- Boil in microwave for about 12 minutes on full heat, stirring every 4 minutes.
- Fry onions in oil until brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes and fry until soft. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Fry chopped mushrooms until brown.
- Mix cream into porridge.
- Use a flat glass bowl and pour a first layer of porridge.
- Spread over a thin layer of tomato and onion sauce, followed by a thin layer of mushrooms.
- Top with some sweetcorn, followed by a layer of cheese.
- Repeat layers in the same order, ending with enough cheese on top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 20 minutes at 180°C (356°F).
Calories: 409kcalCarbohydrates: 38gProtein: 13gFat: 25gSaturated Fat: 14gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 492mgPotassium: 353mgFiber: 4gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 1135IUVitamin C: 9mgCalcium: 280mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!