Oxtail prepared with red wine is a popular South African main dish. Serve with rice, mashed potatoes, pap or samp. Very satisfying.
Delicious, quick and easy oxtail recipePin Recipe
- 2 kg oxtail
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 large onion chopped
- 5 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 410g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 2 potatoes diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Use oil to brown the oxtail in a heated pot. Remove.
- Add onion, garlic and carrots to the pot. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add herbs and saute for another minute.
- Add red wine and cook to reduce somewhat.
- Put oxtail back into the pot and add tomatoes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour beef stock over.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer slowly for 3 hours. Check regularly and add water if needed.
- Add potatoes after two hours of cooking.
- Remove the lid for last 45 minutes to allow sauce to reduce and thicken.
Calories: 673kcalCarbohydrates: 6gProtein: 80gFat: 33gSaturated Fat: 13gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 275mgSodium: 736mgPotassium: 339mgFiber: 1gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 2555IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 74mgIron: 10mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!