A very easy lentil soup recipe. This lovely lentil soup is delicious on cold winters days served with a french loaf or slices of bread with butter. If you prefer a lighter meal, simply scatter a few croutons over the soup. This soup freezes well, so make some extra to keep in the deep freezer for lazy days.
There are a variety of lentils available. Dehulled yellow and red lentils disintegrate in cooking, which makes for a thick soup. It is a staple food throughout Europe and the Middle-East.
A cheap meal perfect for those cold winter days.Pin Recipe
- 500 grams mutton shanks or beef shin
- 500 ml lentils red
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped
- 2 carrots thinly sliced
- 25 ml butter or margarine
- 25 ml flour optional
- 2 litres cold water
- 12,5 ml salt
- 2 ml pepper
- Place the meat and the water in a large saucepan.
- Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, until the meat is tender.
- Melt the butter or margarine in a frying pan and sauté the carrot, onion, and celery in it for 3 minutes.
- When the meat is tender, add the sautéed vegetables and lentils to the saucepan and simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 30 minutes, skimming the soup if necessary.
- Remove the meat from the saucepan, cut the meat into small pieces and set aside.
- Rub the remaining contents of the saucepan through a fine sieve or liquidize in a blender to form a purée.
- Return the puréed soup and the meat to the saucepan, add the salt and pepper and bring to the boil.
- Serve at once.
Calories: 272kcalCarbohydrates: 44gProtein: 17gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 644mgPotassium: 686mgFiber: 20gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 2650IUVitamin C: 6mgCalcium: 46mgIron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
We hope you enjoyed this lentil soup recipe!