This unusual soup recipe incorporates tomato and rice with lemongrass, a very tasty, underestimated herb. Enjoy this refreshing soup on a cold day with a roll or buttered ciabatta bread.
Lemongrass, Tomato and Rice Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 3cm ginger piece finely grated
- 1 red chili finely chopped
- 3 lemongrass stalks discard the outer leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 400 gram tin chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp basmati rice
- coriander handful, finely chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and cook the garlic, ginger, chili, and lemongrass for 2 minutes.
- Add the spices, cooking them for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree and 600ml water, let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Blitz with a stick blender until smooth then season to taste.
- Before serving, heat the soup again, add the rice and simmer for 10 minutes, or until rice is cooked.
- Stir in the coriander and serve.