Krummel Pap (Putu) has such a lovely texture and is a South African favourite to serve with gravy at barbeques or to enjoy with milk and sugar for breakfast.
Krummel Pap Recipe
- 500 g maize meal
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat the water. Add salt.
- Slowly dump the maize meal in the centre of the pot and leave in a heap.
- Cover the pot and cook slowly for 20 minutes.
- Use a fork or back of a wooden spoon to work pap into crumbs.
- Cook for a further 20 minutes with the pot covered.
- Stir again to get some of the crumbs at the bottom and cook for another 20 minutes.