What makes this German chocolate cake so special, it is a normal chocolate cake topped with coconut pecan frosting in die middle.
German Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¾ cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup coconut shredded
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ⅓ cup evaporated milk
- 3 cups icing sugar
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- ½ cup butter
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC (375ºF).
- Grease two round baking pans.
For the Cake
- Mix together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Stir in boiling water, pour the batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Coconut frosting
- In a medium saucepan add brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, egg yolks, and evaporated milk.
- Combine the mixture and bring the mixture to a low boil over medium heat.
- Stirring continuously for several minutes until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove the saucepan from the stove and stir in vanilla essence, nuts and coconut.
- Allow cooling completely before layering it on the cake.
For Chocolate Frosting
- Melt the butter, then stir in cocoa powder.
- Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating continuously.
- Add a small amount of additional milk if needed to thin the frosting or a little extra cocoa powder. Stir in vanilla essence.
We hope you enjoyed this German Chocolate Cake recipe!
Feeling guilty after this delicious dish? Visit our fitness website and burn those calories!
Be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel to ensure you do not miss out on any of our recipes.
Have a look at our other recipes here.
Be sure to follow us on all social media platforms.