What makes this German chocolate cake so special, it is a normal chocolate cake topped with coconut pecan frosting in die middle.
German Chocolate Cake
This is a simple chocolate cake topped with coconut frosting.Pin Recipe
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¾ cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup coconut shredded
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ⅓ cup evaporated milk
- 3 cups icing sugar
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- ½ cup butter
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC (375ºF).
- Grease two round baking pans.
For the Cake
- Mix together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Stir in boiling water, pour the batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Coconut frosting
- In a medium saucepan add brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, egg yolks, and evaporated milk.
- Combine the mixture and bring the mixture to a low boil over medium heat.
- Stirring continuously for several minutes until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove the saucepan from the stove and stir in vanilla essence, nuts and coconut.
- Allow cooling completely before layering it on the cake.
For Chocolate Frosting
- Melt the butter, then stir in cocoa powder.
- Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating continuously.
- Add a small amount of additional milk if needed to thin the frosting or a little extra cocoa powder. Stir in vanilla essence.
Calories: 645kcalCarbohydrates: 86gProtein: 8gFat: 33gSaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 503mgPotassium: 308mgFiber: 5gSugar: 68gVitamin A: 532IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 131mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!