This French onion soup recipe yields the tastiest onion soup and is absolutely delicious! This recipe is very easy to follow and shows you step by step how to make onion soup. This is the ideal soup for those cold rainy days!
French Onion Soup
Delicious and Creamy Onions SoupPin Recipe
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 5 medium sweet onions sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- 6 cups beef stock
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 ml salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 12 French baguette slices
- 1 cup Swiss cheese shredded
- 1 cup Gruyère cheese shredded
- Melt the butter or margarine in a large stockpot.
- Add onions, and cook, stirring often, until deep golden brown and caramelized about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Stir in garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in wine, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the stockpot.
- Stir in beef stock, thyme, and bay leaves. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced, about 15 minutes.
- Remove and discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves.
- Stir in white wine vinegar, season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Preheat the oven to bake.
- Place baguette slices onto a baking sheet. Place into the oven and cook until golden brown on both sides about 1 to 2 minutes per side, set aside.
- Divide soup into ramekins or ovenproof bowls.
- Place onto a baking sheet, top with baguette slices to cover the surface of the soup completely, sprinkle with cheese.
- Place into the oven and cook until golden brown and cheese have melted about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Calories: 1693kcalCarbohydrates: 277gProtein: 61gFat: 36gSaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 3829mgPotassium: 1359mgFiber: 16gSugar: 20gVitamin A: 567IUVitamin C: 15mgCalcium: 756mgIron: 16mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!