This is an all-time favorite. Both the kids and adults love these custard slices. This is a very easy to follow recipe for custard slices. Make your own and spoil your friends and family.
- 200 gram Cream Crackers
- 1 Ltr milk
- 250 ml sugar
- 60 ml butter or margarine
- 120 ml flour
- 100 ml cornflour
- 10 ml custard powder
- 2 ml salt
- 100 ml cold water
- 3 eggs separated
- 5 ml vanilla Essence
- 500 ml icing sugar sifted
- 40 ml boiling water
- In a large saucepan, heat the milk to a boil.
- Add the sugar, and butter or margarine and stir until melted. Remove from the stove.
- Grease a 35 x 25 x 5 cm shallow glass bowl or spray it with an anti-stick agent.
- Grab 15 of the biscuits in rows of 5 x 3 on the bottom of the bowl and make sure the biscuit halves are all in the same direction.
- Mix the following in a separate bowl, flour, cornflour, custard powder, salt, and cold water.
- Add the egg yolks and whisk well.
- Beat 250 ml of the warm milk mixture little by little with the custard mixture.
- Pour it back into the saucepan with the rest of the milk.
- Stir over low heat and cook for 5 minutes until thick.
- Remove from the stove and stir in vanilla essence, beat the egg whites until soft.
- Lightly fold the egg whites into the flame mixture with a metal spoon or spatula.
- Pour the hot custard over the biscuits in the bowl.
- Cover the custard with a further 15 biscuits in 5 x 3 rows and make sure the half-baking lines are in the same direction as the bottom layer.
- Allow the custard to cool completely before placing it in the fridge.
- Mix the icing sugar and boiling water into a spreadable icing. Slowly pour over the crackers spreading it evenly.
- Keep it in the fridge until needed.
- When serving, cut the slices as big as half a biscuit.