This fantastic Crème brûlée recipe is an all-time favorite. Being so absolutely delicious, it is hard to believe that this rich, creamy delight is made with only four ingredients! The recipe refers to scalded cream. To scald is to heat to a temperature just below its boiling point. Chill the brulées after melting the top sugar crust so it forms a hard cap. You may also use a culinary torch instead of grilling it in the oven.
Fantastic Crème brûlée
- 5 egg yolks
- 6 tbsp white sugar
- 170 grams brown sugar
- 2 cups double cream scalded
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Beat the 6 tbsp white sugar and egg yolks together in a large mixing bowl until pale and smooth and the mixture forms a ribbon trail when the whisk is lifted.
- Little at a time, beat in the scalded cream and pour the mixture into a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Heat gently, stirring all the time with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the spoon.
- Remove from the stove and continue beating the mixture for a further 2 minutes, then stir in the vanilla essence.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a deep ovenproof serving dish and allow to it to cool.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Sprinkle the surface of the crème with a 5 mm thick layer of brown sugar.
- Place the dish on a baking sheet and place it under a preheated grill until the sugar melts and caramelizes, about 4 minutes, taking care to remove it before it burns.
- Allow to cool and serve.
We hope you enjoyed this crème brûlée recipe!