This cottage pie recipe makes a lovely dinner to be enjoyed with vegetables or salads. Although it does not form part of the traditional recipe, if you want to work in a handful of mixed vegetables for the children, it also adds extra color. Add the veggies to the meat at the same time as the stock and tomato.
People often wonder about the difference – shepherd’s pie uses lamb and cottage pie uses beef.
South African Cottage Pie
- 500 grams beef mince
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp spice for mince
- 1 small tin tomato paste
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 100 ml beef stock
- 1 clove garlic crushed, optional
- 2 large potatoes
- ½ tsp salt
- 100 ml milk
- 25 grams butter
For the meat
- Fry the onion in the oil.
- Add garlic and mince.
- Fry until brown.
- Add spice, beef stock and tomato.
- Cook until most of the fluid has evaporated.
Prepare mashed potatoes
- Boil 2 large potatoes in water with salt.
- Mash the potatoes and add butter and milk to make it soft and spreadable.
- Put the mince in an oven pan.
- Cover mince with the mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 180°C (350ºF) until mash starts getting brownish peaks.
We hope you enjoyed this cottage pie recipe!