This chocolate mousse recipe makes a feather-light, lovely, and smooth mousse. You may experiment by adding a dash of strong coffee or some rum or whiskey to alter the flavor but as it is, it is intensely chocolaty.
Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 200 grams dark chocolate
- 20 grams butter unsalted
- 1 cup cream
- 4 tbsp castor sugar
- chocolate shavings for topping
- Separate eggs and yolks while eggs are cold.
- Place whites in a large bowl and yolks in a small bowl.
- Leave whites while you prepare other ingredients. Whisk the egg yolks.
- Melt Chocolate, place chocolate, and butter in a bowl melt in the microwave in 30-second bursts, stirring in between, until smooth. Set aside to cool - proceed with other steps.
- Beat cream until stiff peaks form, add sugar. Beat whites until firm peaks form.
- Fold egg yolks into the cream using a rubber spatula.
- Touch the chocolate. It should still be runny but only lukewarm. If too thick, microwave 1 x 4 seconds until runny.
- Pour chocolate into cream yolk mixture. Fold through.
- Add ¼ of the beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture. Fold through with the spatula across the surface to blend white lumps in.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into egg whites. Fold through until incorporated and no more white lumps remain.
- Divide the mixture between 4 small glasses or pots. Refrigerate for at least 5 hours, preferably overnight.
- To serve garnish with cream and chocolate shavings, raspberries and a tiny sprig of mint for color would also be lovely!