What can be more satisfying than a lovely, freshly baked vetkoek (fatcake) with the savory filling of your choice? Try this recipe for a very tasty chicken mayo fatcake. You may use fresh shop bought bread dough instead of kneading the dough yourself.
Chicken Mayo Vetkoek (Fatcake)
Delicious, quick and easy chicken mayo vetkoekPin Recipe
- 7 cups flour
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 10 g packet dry yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 750 ml oil for deep frying
Chicken Mayo Filling
- 500 g chicken fillets diced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp spice for chicken
- 2 cloves
- mayonnaise to taste
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Mix sugar, yeast and some lukewarm water together and leave to foam,
- Sift salt and flour together. Pour yeast mix into flour and knead.
- Keep adding water a little at a time and keep kneading until it is the consistency of bread dough.
- Cover with a cloth and put in a warm place. Leave 1 hour to rise to approximately twice its original size.
- Knead the dough down and spread it flat over a well oiled surface, approximately 1½ cm thick. Cut into squares of about 6 x 6cm. You may cut them smaller for cocktail bites or larger if preferred.
- Stretch each individual piece somewhat before sliding it into very hot oil. This will help to make a hollow for the filling.
- Fry for about 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Turn once only.
- Do not cook too many together at one time - they rise out again.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
For the Chicken Mayo Filling
- Sprinkle lemon juice over chicken.
- Fry in a pan with some oil until brown.
- Add spices and about 50ml water to simmer in for 15 minutes.
- Simmer until dry. Remove cloves. Ensure chicken pieces are small.
- Mix with mayonnaise to taste and fill fatcakes.
Calories: 1753kcalCarbohydrates: 116gProtein: 33gFat: 129gSaturated Fat: 10gPolyunsaturated Fat: 36gMonounsaturated Fat: 80gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 1074mgPotassium: 487mgFiber: 4gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 26IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 31mgIron: 7mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!