What can be more satisfying than a lovely, freshly baked vetkoek (fatcake) with the savory filling of your choice? Try this recipe for a very tasty chicken mayo fatcake. You may use fresh shop bought bread dough instead of kneading the dough yourself.
Chicken Mayo Vetkoek (Fatcake)
- 7 cups flour
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 10 g packet dry yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 750 ml oil for deep frying
Chicken Mayo Filling
- 500 g chicken fillets diced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp spice for chicken
- 2 cloves
- mayonnaise to taste
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Mix sugar, yeast and some lukewarm water together and leave to foam,
- Sift salt and flour together. Pour yeast mix into flour and knead.
- Keep adding water a little at a time and keep kneading until it is the consistency of bread dough.
- Cover with a cloth and put in a warm place. Leave 1 hour to rise to approximately twice its original size.
- Knead the dough down and spread it flat over a well oiled surface, approximately 1½ cm thick. Cut into squares of about 6 x 6cm. You may cut them smaller for cocktail bites or larger if preferred.
- Stretch each individual piece somewhat before sliding it into very hot oil. This will help to make a hollow for the filling.
- Fry for about 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Turn once only.
- Do not cook too many together at one time - they rise out again.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
For the Chicken Mayo Filling
- Sprinkle lemon juice over chicken.
- Fry in a pan with some oil until brown.
- Add spices and about 50ml water to simmer in for 15 minutes.
- Simmer until dry. Remove cloves. Ensure chicken pieces are small.
- Mix with mayonnaise to taste and fill fatcakes.