This chakalaka recipe may be used to prepare a very spicy side dish to meats, barbeques, as a vegetable dish or you can make it slightly thinner to serve as a sauce over pap or bread.
Quick and easy ChakalakaPin Recipe
- 2 large onions chopped
- 3 large tomatoes chopped
- ½ green pepper chopped
- ¼ red pepper chopped
- ¼ yellow pepper chopped
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 410g baked beans
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Fry the onions and garlic in the oil until brown.
- Add curry powder and ginger. Fry for another minute.
- Add peppers and the chopped tomatoes. Salt and pepper.
- Add baked beans and stir.
- For a firmer chakalaka, cook and stir to reduce fluid.
- For a saucy chakalaka, add water.
Calories: 24kcalCarbohydrates: 5gProtein: 1gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 3mgPotassium: 111mgFiber: 1gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 212IUVitamin C: 26mgCalcium: 16mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!