This salted caramel popcorn recipe is a winner on any party table. You may use any food coloring and the M&M flavors of your choice. Even Cadbury jelly chocolates or whatever small candies you prefer.
Caramel Popcorn Recipe
- 6 cups popcorn popped
- 2 cups coarsely chopped salted pretzels
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- drop of red food coloring
- drop of blue food coloring
- 1 ½ cup M&M's flavor of your choice
- Combine popcorn and pretzels in a large bowl. Set aside.
To prepare the caramel
- In a medium saucepan, bring sugar, ½ teaspoon salt, and water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Boil, undisturbed, until mixture is yellow in color, for about 8-12 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and slowly pour in the heavy cream. Be careful because the mixture will bubble up. Stir until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract, marshmallows, and drop of red food coloring into the pan.
- In a separate bowl add some of the marshmallows, add a drop of blue food coloring into the pan.
- Stir until marshmallows are completely melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour caramel mixture over popcorn and pretzels and gently stir with a rubber spatula until popcorn is well coated.
- Stir in the M&M's. Transfer mixture to a large baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt. Let cool completely.