Who doesn’t fondly remember candy apples from school sales, bazaars, fetes, picnics? Make these yummies in about 25 minutes.
- 8 apples small
- 8 ice cream sticks flat, wooden
- 2 cups white sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp white vinegar
- ½ tsp red food coloring
- candy thermometer
- Combine sugar, water and vinegar.
- Bring to a boil in a pot without stirring. Brush sugar granules off the sides.
- Bring temperature down and allow to simmer for 20 minutes or until it reaches the hard crack stage (about 150°C (295 - 310°F). Use a candy thermometer.
- Stir in the food coloring evenly. Remove from heat.
- Wait until it stops bubbling before dipping the apples.
- Wash and dry the apples. Insert stick at least ¾ deep into the middle of the apple where the stem used to be.
- Dip apples by tilting the pot while rotating the apple in the liquid.
- Put on wax paper to cool and dry.