This is a recipe for a lovely cake, using buttermilk in the cake and in a glazed icing topping that is soaked up by the cake.
Cake with ButtermilkPin Recipe
- 2½ cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1½ cups buttermilk
For Icing Glaze
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a pan 13x9 inches.
- Mix dry cake ingredients in a bowl.
- In another bowl mix eggs with buttermilk, vegetable oil and vanilla.
- Mix the soft butter into the dry ingredients to become crumbly.
- Add half the liquid mixture and mix. Add the rest of the liquid and mix until just incorporated - not too long.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about 45 minutes.
For the Icing Glaze
- 5 minutes before the cake is done, place all glaze ingredients in a pot.
- Stir while heating until all the sugar has melted.
- When it reaches boiling point, remove from heat.
- Pour over hot cake and allow to stand for half an hour.
Calories: 851kcalCarbohydrates: 120gProtein: 9gFat: 39gSaturated Fat: 24gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 179mgSodium: 787mgPotassium: 166mgFiber: 1gSugar: 89gVitamin A: 1269IUCalcium: 154mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!