This curried butternut soup recipe is an all-season winner as a light meal served with bread and butter or croutons. You may also opt to serve a small portion as a first course or starter to a meal. The soup may also be made without curry and rather be topped with some cinnamon. Pumpkin soup was a staple during the Vietnamese war and is also a popular Thanksgiving dish.
Curried Butternut Soup
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- 2 onions chopped medium
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1.2 kg butternut peeled mass (small cubes)
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 1 apple peeled and finely grated
- 250 ml cream
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- Fry onions, ginger, and curry in warm oil.
- Add the butternut and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and simmer until vegetables are soft.
- Add apple, salt, and pepper.
- Cooldown and liquidize.
- Put back on the heat.
- Add cream and simmer for another 8-10 minutes.
We hope you enjoyed this butternut soup recipe!