Delicious, easy, and crunchy Buttermilk rusks with cranberry. These are to die for. Makes for the perfect snack with your morning coffee or afternoon tea. Be sure to let us know how you enjoyed these delicious treats.
Cranberry Buttermilk Rusks
- 1 kg self-raising flour
- 5 ml baking powder
- 5 ml salt
- 250 ml brown sugar
- 250 grams butter
- 250 ml muesli
- 125 ml mixed seeds
- 125 ml cranberries
- 500 ml buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together and make a hole in the middle.
- Add the butter and blend it in using your fingers until its fine crumbs.
- Add the buttermilk and eggs together blend well and keep 30 ml of the buttermilk one side to glaze the rusks.
- Mix the remainder of the buttermilk mixture together till a medium soft dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead gently to form a nice even dough.
- Using a rusk pan roll out the dough evenly.
- Bake in the oven at 160ºC (320ºF)for 35 minutes.
- Leave the rusks once done for 5 minutes in the pan before using the rusk cutter.
- Place the rusks on an oven wire rack for cooling overnight.
- For the drying process, put your oven on 60ºC (140ºF) en leave the rusks to dry for 5 hours.
- Leave your oven door slightly open for the moisture to escape.