There are so many recipes for tarts with different fillings but the basic tart shell is mostly the same. You can add to this recipe spices, citrus rind or a few other dry ingredients like sugar to alter the taste to your need. In some recipes, you add the filling right away, for some you need to bake the hollow shell separately and fill it afterward. In both cases, this recipe is good to use as a basic tart pastry.
Basic Tart Pastry
- 1¼ cups flour
- ⅓ tsp salt
- 6 tbsp cold butter diced
- 3 - 4 tbsp iced water
- Mix together flour and salt.
- Rub the butter in until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Use the cold water and process until the mixture comes together as a dough,
- Roll into a ball and chill at least 45 minutes before rolling it out.
- If you want a hollow pastry case, roll it out, line a tart dish.
- Prick holes in the pastry with a fork.
- Cover with parchment and fill with baking beans.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 200°C (400°F).
- Remove paper and beans and bake a further 6 - 8 minutes until brown.